As electric cars (EVs), which are becoming more popular, become more expensive, the government is offering tax credits as an incentive to purchase them. These tax credits may help to reduce the price of an EV for consumers. In this post, we’ll explore which cars qualify to receive the federal EV tax credit and what you can expect in terms of savings.
What is the federal EV credit?
The federal EV is a tax credit that may be used for the purchase or lease of a new, or even a second-hand electric vehicle. The credit aims to encourage the use of EVs with lower emissions and eco-friendlier vehicles than gasoline.
Read This Also:
- When did the first electric car enters the US market?
- Do Teslas still qualify for tax incentives?
- Tesla Model S: The Revolutionary Luxury Sedan in America
How much does the federal EV tax credit cost?
The amount of federal EV credit varies depending upon the model and brand of electric vehicles you own. The maximum amount of credit is $7500. The actual amount can vary depending on battery size.
A 2021 Nissan Leaf can be eligible for a $7500 credit. Model S & Model X cars from 2021 Tesla can receive a credit worth up to $1875. The tax credit will start to decrease once a company sells 200,000 eligible vehicles in the US.
What cars qualify to receive the federal EV tax incentive?
To qualify for a federal EV tax credit, cars need to meet certain requirements. The criteria include
- The vehicle has to be purchased or leased either by the taxpayer and it can be either brand-new or used.
- The vehicle must have at least four wheels, and it must be powered by a motor.
- Battery capacity must be 4 kilowatts-hours or more.
- The vehicle cannot be bought for resale. It must be purchased by the taxpayer for personal use or leasing.
- The vehicle should be used mostly in the US.
- The vehicle’s registration and title must be in the US.
- The manufacturer is required to have sold less than 200,000 eligible vehicles within the US.
- Tesla Model X: The Ultimate Luxury SUV Available in the EV Market
- Tesla Model Y: Crossover SUV in the USA EV Market
- What are the tax incentives for electric cars?
Which cars are currently eligible for the federal EV taxable credit?
Many electric vehicles are currently eligible for the federal EV tax incentive. The following cars qualify to receive the federal EV tax credit:
- Audi e tron – Tax credit of up to $7,500
- Ford Mustang – tax credit of up to 7,500 dollars
- Kia Niro-EV Tax Credit of up to $7,500
- Nissan Leaf – up to $7500 tax credit
- Porsche Taycan – Tax credit of up to 7,500 dollars
- Tesla Model 3 up to $7500 tax credit
- Volkswagen ID.4 – Tax Credit of up to 7,500 dollars
You should be aware that the federal EV tax credits are subject to change. The credit will gradually phase out once each manufacturer has sold at least 200,000 cars that are eligible in the US. Tesla is the only manufacturer that has not received any credit.
The federal EV tax credits can help to significantly reduce the price of purchasing an electric automobile. Eligible cars must meet certain criteria. They include a minimum 4 kWh capacity battery, as well as being purchased or leased for personal usage. Many electric vehicles qualify for the credit including models made by Audi, Ford Kia Nissan Porsche Tesla Volkswagen.
Research the available incentives and tax credits before you purchase an electric car. This will help you determine how much savings you can make by purchasing one of cars which qualify to receive the federal EV tax credit. It’s important to remember that the EV tax credits are subject to change. They may also be affected by the number of vehicles eligible sold by the manufacturer.