Many people have been curious about charging their electric cars at home with electric cars becoming more popular. Yes, electric cars can easily be charged at home. This is one advantage of owning an electrified car. We will be exploring the different ways to charge an electric car at your home and the potential benefits.
You Have a Few Options to Charge an Electric Car at Home
There are many options available to charge your electric vehicle at home. Each one has its benefits and drawbacks. Let’s examine some of the options to answer the question Can electric cars be charged at home?.
- Level 1 Charger: This charger comes with all-electric cars. It can take 12 to 24hrs to fully charge an electric car. Level 1 chargers will plug into any standard outlet. However, they are not appropriate for people who travel a lot.
- Level 2 Chargers provide faster charging options that do not require a dedicated circuit. These chargers can also be used at home. Level 2 chargers charge electric vehicles in about 4 to 6 hours. These chargers are perfect for commuters who travel long distances frequently or those who drive a lot. The cost of a Level 2 charger depends on the model and installation requirements.
- Level 3 Chargers: This charger charges electric cars up to 80% in 30 seconds. It does require a high power source so is not suitable as a home charger. These chargers are usually found at public charging stations, or along major highways.
- What is the difference between a hybrid and an electric car?
- How does an electric car work?
- Are electric cars environmentally friendly?
Charging your Electric Car at Home: Benefits
Many benefits come with charging your electric vehicle at home, such as:
- Convenience. This is one advantage of charging your electric vehicle at home. To ensure your vehicle is fully charged by the next day, you can plug it into the charger at home when you arrive. This is especially useful for people who live far away or take frequent trips.
- Cost Savings: Charging a home-charged electric car is less expensive than filling up your gas tank. The price of electricity is generally lower than that of gasoline. Electric car owners often take advantage of time-of-use rates which offer lower rates during off-peak hours. This can allow you to save substantial fuel costs over time.
- Environment Benefits: Charging your electric car at home emits no emissions making it an environmentally friendly alternative to gasoline-powered cars. It reduces our dependence on fossil fuels. This makes for a cleaner and safer environment.
An electric car can be charged at your home. It is one of the best benefits. You can enjoy both the convenience and cost savings that come with charging your electric car from home if you have the right equipment. You can be assured that you are helping to reduce carbon emissions and create a more sustainable world by choosing Level 1 or 2 chargers.